Contracts Book List
Relevant Titles for User-Centered Software Design,
UML Use Cases and Business Case Customer-Orientation
(These first few listed titles explore methods
for establishing a benchmark of quality for software
generally - including associated standards and processes
- based upon user-oriented requirements)
* "Software for Use: A Practical Guide to the
Models and Methods of Usage-Centered Design" by
Constantine and Lockwood, Published by Addison Wesley
* "Case Method Business Interviewing" by
Hickman and Longman, Published by Addison-Wesley.
* "Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of
Content and Style" by Kovitz, Published by Manning
* "Customer Oriented Software Quality Assurance:
A Complete Guide to Putting the Customer First in Software
Quality Assurance" by Ginac, Published by Prentice
* "Software Requirements" by Wiegers, Published
by Microsoft Press.
* "Testing Computer Software" Second Edition,
by Kaner, Falk and Nguyen, Published by Wiley.
* "Business Specifications: The Key to Successful
Software Engineering. A Systematic Approach to Defining
Business Specifications that Work" by Kilov, Published
by Prentice Hall.
* "Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace" by
Lessig, Published by Basic Books.
* "Design Patterns and Contracts" by Jezequel,
Train and Mingins, Published by Addison-Wesley.
(The following titles examine the Unified Modeling
Language from various perspective. UML, of course, provides
a very important method of expressing user-based system
requirements through the "use case")
* "Applying Use Cases: A Practical Guide"
by Schneider and Winters, Published by Addison-Wesley.
* "Use Case Driven Object Modeling With UML: A
Practical Appraoch" by Rosenberg and Scott, Published
* "Understanding UML: The Developer's Guide. With
a Web-Based Application in Java" by Harmon and
Watson, published by Morgan Kaufmann.
* "The Unified Modeling Language User Guide"
by Booch, Rumbaugh and Jacobson, Published by Addison-Wesley.
* "Real-Time UML Second Edition: Developing Efficient
Objects for Embedded Systems" by Douglas, Published
* "UML In a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference"
by Alhir, Published by O'Reilly.
* "UML Distilled Second Edition: A Brief Guide
to the Standard Object Modelling Language" by Fowker
and Scott, Published by Addison-Wesley.
(The following are great business context books
exploring the role of the user/customer in the design,
engineering, sales and use of software generally)
* "Customer-Centered Growth: Five Proven Strategies
for Building Competitive Advantage" by Whiteley
and Hessan, Published by The Forum Corporation.
* "Kaizen Strategies for Customer Care: How to
Create a Powerful Customer Care Program - and Make it
Work" by Wellington, Published by Pitman Publishing.
* "Customer Connections" New Strategies for
Growth" by Wayland and Cole, Published by Harvard
Business School Press.
* "Customers.Com: How to Create a Profitable Business
Strategy for the Internet and Beyond" by Seybold
and Marshak, Published by Times Business.
(the rest are half-decent customer oriented
* "Customer Intimacy: Pick Your Partners, Shape
Your Culture, Win Together" by Wiersema, Published
by Knowledge Exchange.
* "Real Time: Preparing for the Age of the Never
Satisfied Customer" by McKenna, Published by Harvard
Business School Press.
* "Mass Customization: The New Frontier in Business
Competition" by Pine, Published by Harvard Business
* "The Customer-Driven Company: Moving from Talk
to Action" by Whiteley, Published by the Forum